Tips for communicating with a Deaf/deaf or Hard of Hearing (HoH) person – there may be more than one answer.
A. If you start talking to me and I tell you I’m hard of hearing, this means:
- Go away, hearie person.
- I’m incapable of having a conversation because the HoH are demented.
- I need you to scream in my face in order to hear you.
- Face me when you speak to me and speak distinctly, in a normal tone of voice.
B. If we are in a noisy environment like a restaurant or a bar you can expect my hearing aids to:
- Be radar ears so I can hear everything everyone says
- Be out of my ears or turned off because the sound is overwhelming
- Make all the noise into a tossed salad of sound so I may understand very little.
- Irrelevant, since all Deaf/deaf/HoH people read lips anyway.
C. When I don’t hear you, what are your best options?
- Say, “Never mind” since it wasn’t important anyway
- Face me and repeat the word or sentence clearly and distinctly
- Write it on a piece of paper.
- Sign it in ASL, even if you have to finger spell it – slowly
D. If I come to your restaurant and mention I am HoH do you:
- Quickly get me a braille menu?
- Get me a wheelchair?
- Get me a pen and paper?
- Get me a menu, then face me when you talk to me and speak distinctly?
E. If I am somewhere with my interpreters and you find us annoying, do you:
- Yell at an interpreter and tell them to get away from you?
- Yell at the manager that those deaf people are ruining your evening out?
- Come over and tell me to leave so you can enjoy your evening?
- Quietly ask the manager to seat you in a different location that is less distracting for you?
F. If you want to talk to a Hard of Hearing person who is facing away from you, do you:
- Grab them and turn them around, after all they’re used to this.
- Tap them on the shoulder and wait for them to respond.
- Walk around in front of them, place your hand within the visual field of the person, palm down and gently waggle it up and down to get their attention.
- Walk around in front of them and wait to see how long it takes to be noticed.
Arn’t you glad you waited?
C. 2, 3, or 4
F 2 or 3
So, how did you do?